YCT stands for Youth Chinese Test. Its Chinese name is “中小学生汉语考试”. It reads in Pin Yin: “zhōng xiǎo xué shēng hàn yǔ kǎo shì”. If we translate directly, it means: “Middle and Primary School Students’ Chinese Language Exam”.
YCT is designed for children from the non-Chinese background family. It is the official recognised Chinese Language Proficiency Certificate for youth.
YCT has four levels:
|Level||Vocabulary||Test Time||Listing||Reading||Writing||Score||Pass Score|
According to YCT official sites, the different levels of YCT are similar to HSK Chinese Language Proficiency Test (HSK) levels. The standard of the four different YCT levels are:
- YCT 1: Master some of the most common Chinese phrases and sentences and possess the ability to further their Chinese language studies.
- YCT 2: Master some simple Chinese phrases and sentences and cope with basic level communications. Equal to HSK 1.
- YCT 3: Can communicate on familiar daily topics in a simple manner. Equal to HSK 2.
- YCT 4: Can communicate in Chinese at a basic level in their daily, academic and professional lives. When travelling in China, they can manage most forms of communication in Chinese. Equal to HSK 3.
We believe the YCT is the best Chinese class for children from the non-Chinese background family based on the below reasons.
- Incentive with a goal: YCT is designed on current trends of international Chinese language training with “promote learning through testing” principle. It gives children the motivation to learn the Chinese language and get the YCT certificates. YCT is officially recognised Chinese language proficiency test. The YCT certificate is a benchmark for students who want to learn Chinese for their future.
- Improve self-confidence: YCT has four levels. IT gives children the steps to process their study of Chinese languages. Most students will pass the YCT test because the passing score is only 60%. This improves students’ self-confidence and interest in learning Chinese.
- We choose the YCT Standard Course as our textbook. It comes with a textbook and a workbook. The two books use attractive contents for children like pictures, activities, exercises, songs and stories to make their Chinese study function and fun.
At Lyrebird Language Centre, we offer a new incentive YCT Couse in January 2020 (6 – 17 Jan, 8:30-11:30, Mon-Frid).